We will only use and/or disclose your Personal Information to third parties in circumstances that are:
(b) as set out in any of our Uniden Security, Surveillance or Baby Monitor Products, and/or associated Uniden Apps
(c) clearly explained at the time the information is collected from you; or
(d) otherwise permitted under the APPs.
- the type of information that Uniden may collect from you;
- how it will be protected and how we may use that information;
- whether we are likely to disclose such information to overseas recipients;
- how you may access and correct that information if necessary; and
- how you may complain to us about a breach of the APPs.
Collecting Personal Information
We may collect information about you from your use of our Website (“Site”) or any Uniden Security, UHF, Dash Cam, Surveillance or Baby Monitor Product, and/or associated Uniden Apps (“Apps”), or where you otherwise provide us with information, such as when you purchase a product or participate in one of our promotions, competitions, or surveys. We will not collect any Personal Information about an individual without their consent. The only Personal Information we may collect is what you choose to tell us about yourself or otherwise provide to us by use of any of our products or Apps. We may also collect general information about your demographics, income, spending habits and potential purchases.
When dealing with us, you will have the option of not identifying yourself or of using a pseudonym, unless it is impractical for us to deal with you in this way in relation to a matter.
We may also collect data from your use of the Site, such as the date and time you access the Site, the type of browser you use and the web site from which you connected to the Site. Our Apps also collect location data to enable location sharing even when an App is closed or not in use.[NMJ1]
Using our Site and Cookies
Types of personal information we collect
The kinds of personal information we may collect from you will depend on what type of interaction you have with us. Examples of the information including Personal Information we may collect from you includes, among other things:
- photos and digital images;
- identity particulars – such as your name, address, date of birth, occupation, telephone numbers and e-mail address;
- information contained in identification documents such as driver’s licence or passport;
- financial information such as credit or debit card and bank details, shareholdings and details of investments;
- personal information you provide to us when you participate in a promotion, competition, promotional activity, survey, market research, subscribe to our mailing list;
- your records of communication with us;
- if you visit our Site, your Site usage information such as your IP address;
- location information.
The purpose for collecting your personal information
We will generally only collect and use your Personal Information for the primary purposes of:
- our general business operations;
- effectively providing you with our goods and services including through our Site and Apps;
- responding to your inquires or complaints;
- meeting our legal and regulatory obligations;
- conducting, improving and developing a relationship with you;
- direct marketing (such as providing you with information about our products and promotional notices and offers); and
- improving our Site and Apps.
Your personal information is only collected by lawful and fair means and where practicable, only from you or from a person acting or authorised to act on your behalf.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are aware of:
- the likely use of the information;
- the right of access to the information;
- the identity and contact details of our employee/representative collecting your personal information;
- any law requiring collection of the information; and
- the main consequences of failure to provide your personal information.
Collecting sensitive information
How your Personal Information is stored and secured
We take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse or unauthorised access by restricting access to the information in electronic format and by appropriate physical and communications security. If a substantial data breach has or may have occurred (for example, your personal information was shared with unauthorised persons) we will notify you as soon as is practicable.
We only keep your Personal Information for as long as it is required for the purpose for which it was collected or as otherwise required by law. We will take appropriate measures to destroy or permanently de-identity your personal information if we no longer need to retain it. These measures may vary depending on the type of information concerned, the way it was collected and how it was stored.
Personal Information of Minors
We do not wish to obtain Personal Information from minors (being under the age of 18 years) who may access and use our Site or Apps without parental or guardian supervision. Therefore, we ask minors to obtain the consent of their parent or guardian before providing us with any Personal Information.
If we receive Personal Information that we did not request from you, and if we decide that such information is not reasonably necessary for or directly related to our business activities, we will destroy or de-identify that information as soon as practical and if it is lawful to do so.
As soon as practicable after we collect Personal Information from you, we will notify you of the following matters:
- Our identity and contact details;
- The purposes for which we collect that information
- If we are likely to disclose Personal Information to overseas recipients and if so, the countries in which they are likely to be located
2. Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
We may use your Personal Information for:
- the primary purposes for which it was collected, such as those described above including use of the Site and/or Apps;
- administering and responding to your enquiry or feedback about our products and/or services;
- conducting, and allowing you to participate in, a promotion, competition, promotional activity, survey, market research or customer behavioural activity;
- promoting and marketing our current and future products and services to you, informing you of upcoming events and special promotions and offers and analysing our products and services so as to improve and develop new products and services (but giving you the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing); and
- improving the operation of our Site and Apps.
We may disclose Personal Information we collect from you:
- to our related companies, suppliers, consultants, contractors, agents, external providers, referees for the primary proposes for which it was collected or for other purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information is collected. For example, your name and telephone number may be disclosed to our supplier to enable that supplier to respond to your request for information about a particular product; for direct marketing, but giving you the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing (we will include our contact details in any direct marketing);
- to relevant Federal, State, Territory medical, health and safety authorities (as required);
- where the law requires or authorises us to do so;
- to others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you; and
- with your consent (express or implied), to others.
We may give your address details to third parties (such as couriers, Australia Post or promotions fulfillment houses), to allow them to deliver a Product that you ordered from us or a prize or reward pursuant to one of our promotions or competitions.
We may use this information for research or to improve Uniden’s products and services. We may also use this information for reasonable business purposes, for example to provide you with marketing and promotional material.
We will not use or disclose Personal Information for direct marketing purposes, unless:
- You would reasonably expect us to use or disclose such information for that purpose; and
- We provided a simple method by which you can request not to receive direct marketing communications from us and you have not made such a request.
if you give us information when you submit an enquiry or complaint, we will use that information first to respond to your enquiry or complaint and may also use it for our internal corporate purposes, such as monitoring and improving customer service aspects of our Site.
Except as stated above, we will not disclose your Personal Information to any third party, unless required to do so by law or with your prior consent.
Marketing and Opting-Out
We may use your personal information for:
- promoting and marketing of our current and future products and services;
- informing you of upcoming events and special promotions and offers; and
- analysing our products and services so as to improve and develop new products and services.
We may exchange your personal information between our related entities and so they can also assist in the marketing of our products and services to you. We will only offer you products or services, where we reasonably believe that they could be of interest or benefit to you. At the point we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information. You will generally be given the opportunity to “opt out” from receiving marketing communications from us. You may “opt out” from receiving these communications by clicking on an unsubscribe link at the end of an email or by contacting us with this request.
Cross border disclosure
Your personal information may also be processed by, or disclosed to employees, representatives, or other third parties operating outside of Australia who work for, or are engaged by us in other countries, including the People’s Republic of China, Japan, Vietnam, Korea, Singapore and United States of America (USA) For example, we may use a server hosted overseas to store data, which may include your personal information. We will take reasonable steps, in the circumstances, before your personal information is disclosed to an overseas recipient, to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach privacy laws in relation to your personal information (‘the reasonable steps’). The reasonable steps may not apply if you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient and we reasonably believe that the overseas receipt is subject to laws that are suitability similar to privacy laws in Australia. If you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient, the overseas recipient may not be accountable under the Privacy Act, and you will not be able to seek redress for breaches under the Privacy Act.
Specific rights of European residents
- Personal Data (i.e. Personal Information) is:
- processed fairly, lawfully and in a transparent manner; and
- collected and processed only for specified and lawful purposes.
- Processed Personal Data (i.e. Personal Information that is used, held or disclosed by us) is:
- adequate, relevant and not excessive; • accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date;
- kept secure, and not longer than necessary;
- not transferred to countries outside the European Union without adequate protection; and
- treated in accordance with individuals’ legal rights.
Whilst we strive to provide all individuals with appropriate access and control over their data, individuals covered by the GDPR are also able to:
- prescriptively restrict, limit or otherwise provide instructions to us regarding how we can use their Personal Data. This includes being able to object to how and why their Personal Data is used (e.g. by the removal of their consent for particular functions);
- request the erasure (i.e. deletion) of their information; and
- request us to provide all Personal Data held about them in a portable format, meaning in a way that is structured, commonly used and machine-readable.
Individuals who exercise this right to data portability are also able to direct us to transmit this data to other entities who they intend to allow to process their Personal Data. We will allow and assist individuals that are EU Residents to exercise these rights, unless we have compelling and legitimate legal grounds not to (e.g. a legal obligation under Australian legislation, or if the Personal Data has been fully anonymised).
Accurate and up-to-date information
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is accurate, up-to-date and not misleading by updating its records whenever true and correct changes to the data come to its attention. If you believe your information is incorrect, incomplete or not current, you can request that we update this information by contacting our Privacy Officer. To contact our Privacy Officer please see contact details below.
We will correct information we hold about you if we discover, or you are able to show to a reasonable standard, the information is incorrect. If you seek correction and we disagree that the information is incorrect, we will provide you with its reasons for taking that view. We disregard information that seems likely to be inaccurate or out-of-date by reason of the time that has elapsed since it was collected or by reason of any other information in our possession.
Access to your personal information
We acknowledge that you have a general right of access to information concerning you, and to have inaccurate information corrected. You are able to access the personal information we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer. If access is refused to your personal information for reasons permitted by the Privacy Act, we will give you a notice explaining our decision to the extent practicable and your options. To contact our Privacy Officer please see contact details below. If you make an access request, we may ask you to verify your identity and put your request in writing for security reasons. We may charge a reasonable administration fee to cover the costs of meeting your request. We will reply to your request for access within 30 days of notification by you.
Dealing with unsolicited information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that all unsolicited information is destroyed or de-identified immediately.
Anonymity when dealing with us
Only where it is practicable to do so, we may allow you the option not to identify yourself when dealing with us.
Protecting Data captured on a Uniden Security, UHF, Dash Cam, Surveillance or Monitor and associated Apps
If you use any Uniden Security, UHF, Dash Cam , Surveillance or Baby Monitor Product, in conjunction with its associated Uniden Apps, that is capable of being accessed and operated via the Internet, you must remember that any device on which you operate the App could be vulnerable to being interfered with or manipulated and that data and images captured by your Uniden Product could be corrupted, lost or disclosed to unauthorised persons.
Uniden therefore advises you to take all available steps to secure and protect your device by selecting a suitable unique and detailed password, incorporating a combination of upper- and lower-case characters, to protect the security of your device. Uniden also recommends that you change that password at regular intervals.
Uniden cannot accept responsibility for any corruption, loss or unauthorised disclosure of data or images that may occur as a result of any interference with or manipulation of your device.
Compliance with Privacy Laws By You
When using any Uniden Security, UHF, Dash Cam, Surveillance or Baby Monitor Product and associated Apps, Uniden reminds you that you must obey all national and state laws that protect the confidentiality and privacy of other people and that a breach of those laws, by (for example) disclosing video or images of a person to a third party without consent, may be an offence that could attract heavy penalties.
Transfer of ownership
Complaints and disputes
Our Privacy Officer will consider your question or complaint and respond to you in a reasonable timeframe.
More on Privacy
You can obtain further information about privacy in Australia and the protection of your Personal Information on the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner’s website at www.privacy.gov.au.
Last Updated September 2023